As used in this Part, unless otherwise specified:
(1) "City", as defined in G.S. 160A-1(2), means a municipal corporation organized under the laws of this State for the better government of the people within its jurisdiction and having the powers, duties, privileges, and immunities conferred by law on cities, towns, and villages. The term "city" does not include counties or municipal corporations organized for a special purpose under any statute or law. The word "city" is interchangeable with the words "town" and "village" and shall mean any city as defined in this subdivision without regard to the terminology employed in charters, local acts, other portions of the General Statutes, or local customary usage.
(2) "Community general hospital" means a short-term nonfederal hospital that provides diagnostic and therapeutic services to patients for a variety of medical conditions, both surgical and nonsurgical, such services being available for use primarily by residents of the community in which it is located.
(3) "Corporation, foreign or domestic, authorized to do business in North Carolina" means a corporation for profit or having a capital stock which is created and organized under Chapter 55 of the General Statutes or any other general or special act of this State, or a foreign corporation which has procured a certificate of authority to transact business in this State pursuant to Article 10 of Chapter 55 of the General Statutes.
(4) "Hospital facility" means any one or more buildings, structures, additions, extensions, improvements or other facilities, whether or not located on the same site or sites, machinery, equipment, furnishings or other real or personal property suitable for health care or medical care; and includes, without limitation, general hospitals; chronic disease, maternity, mental, tuberculosis and other specialized hospitals; nursing homes, including skilled nursing facilities and intermediate care facilities; adult care homes for the aged and disabled; public health center facilities; housing or quarters for local public health departments; facilities for intensive care and self-care; clinics and outpatient facilities; clinical, pathological and other laboratories; health care research facilities; laundries; residences and training facilities for nurses, interns, physicians and other staff members; food preparation and food service facilities; administrative buildings, central service and other administrative facilities; communication, computer and other electronic facilities; fire-fighting facilities; pharmaceutical and recreational facilities; storage space; X ray, laser, radiotherapy and other apparatus and equipment; dispensaries; utilities; vehicular parking lots and garages; office facilities for hospital staff members and physicians; and such other health and hospital facilities customarily under the jurisdiction of or provided by hospitals, or any combination of the foregoing, with all necessary, convenient or related interests in land, machinery, apparatus, appliances, equipment, furnishings, appurtenances, site preparation, landscaping, and physical amenities.
(4a) "Hospital land" means air and ground rights to real property held either in fee or by lease by a municipality, with all easements, rights-of-way, appurtenances, landscaping, and physical amenities such as utilities, parking lots, and garages, but excluding other improvements to land described in subsection (4) of this section and G.S. 131E-16(15).
(5) "Municipality" means any county, city, or other political subdivision of this State, or any hospital district created under Part C of this Article.
(6) "Nonprofit association" or "nonprofit corporation" means any association or corporation from which no part of the net earnings inures or may lawfully inure to the benefit of a private shareholder or individual. (1983, c. 775, s. 1; 1997-233, s. 1.)