(a) A foreign corporation authorized to transact business in this State must obtain an amended certificate of authority from the Secretary of State if it changes:
(1) Its corporate name;
(2) The period of its duration; or
(3) The state or country of its incorporation.
(b) A foreign corporation may apply for an amended certificate of authority by delivering an application to the Secretary of State for filing that sets forth:
(1) The name of the foreign corporation and the name in which the corporation is authorized to transact business in North Carolina if different;
(2) The name of the state or country under whose law it is incorporated;
(3) The date it was originally authorized to transact business in this State;
(4) A statement of the change or changes being made.
Except for the content of the application, the requirements of G.S. 55‑15‑03 for obtaining an original certificate of authority apply to obtaining an amended certificate under this section. (1955, c. 1371, s. 1; 1989, c. 265, s. 1; 1989 (Reg. Sess., 1990), c. 1024, s. 12.22.)