§ 58-21-10. Definitions.
As used in this Article:
(1) "Admitted insurer" means an insurer licensed to engage in the business of insurance in this State.
(1a) "Affiliate" means, with respect to an insured, any entity that controls, is controlled by, or is under common control with the insured.
(1b) "Affiliated group" means any group of entities that are all affiliated.
(2) "Capital", as used in the financial requirements of G.S. 58-21-20, means funds paid in for stock or other evidence of ownership.
(2a) "Control" means an entity that has "control" over another entity if either of the following occurs:
a. The entity directly or indirectly or acting through one or more other persons owns, controls, or has the power to vote twenty-five percent (25%) or more of any class of voting securities of the other entity.
b. The entity controls in any manner the election of a majority of the directors or trustees of the other entity.
(3) "Eligible surplus lines insurer" means a nonadmitted insurer with which a surplus lines licensee may place surplus lines insurance under G.S. 58-21-20.
(4) "Export" means to place surplus lines insurance with a nonadmitted insurer.
(5) "Nonadmitted insurer" means an insurer not licensed to do an insurance business in this State. "Nonadmitted insurer" includes insurance exchanges authorized under the laws of various states. "Nonadmitted insurer" does not include a risk retention group, as defined in G.S. 58-22-10(10).
(6) "Producing broker" means an agent or broker licensed under Article 33 of this Chapter who deals directly with the party seeking insurance and who may also be a surplus lines licensee.
(6a) "Salary protection insurance" means insurance against financial loss caused by the cessation of earned income because of disability from sickness, ailment, or bodily injury.
(7) "Surplus", as used in the financial requirements of G.S. 58-21-20, means funds over and above liabilities and capital of the company for the protection of policyholders.
(8) "Surplus lines insurance" means any insurance in this State of risks resident, located, or to be performed in this State, permitted to be placed through a surplus lines licensee with a nonadmitted insurer eligible to accept such insurance, including salary protection insurance. The term does not include reinsurance, commercial aircraft insurance, wet marine and transportation insurance, insurance independently procured pursuant to G.S. 58-28-5, life and accident or health insurance, and annuities.
(9) "Surplus lines licensee" means a person licensed under G.S. 58-21-65 to place insurance on risks resident, located, or to be performed in this State with nonadmitted insurers eligible to accept such insurance.
(10) "Wet marine and transportation insurance" means:
a. Insurance upon vessels, crafts, hulls and of interests therein or with relation thereto;
b. Insurance of marine builder's risks, marine war risks and contracts of marine protection and indemnity insurance;
c. Insurance of freights and disbursements pertaining to a subject of insurance coming within this subsection; and
d. Insurance of personal property and interests therein, in the course of exportation from or importation into any country, or in the course of transportation coastwise or on inland waters including transportation by land, water, or air from point of origin to final destination, in connection with any and all risks or perils of navigation, transit or transportation, and while being prepared for and while awaiting shipment, and during any delays, transshipment, or reshipment incident thereto. (1985, c. 688, s. 1; 1985 (Reg. Sess., 1986), c. 1027, s. 45; 1987, c. 629, s. 19; c. 727, s. 6; c. 864, s. 73; 1998-211, s. 3; 1999-219, s. 5.3; 2011-120, s. 2; 2011-370, s. 1.)