GENERAL ASSEMBLY OF NORTH CAROLINA
EXTRA SESSION 2008
HOUSE RESOLUTION 1
Calendar for immediate consideration.
March 20, 2008
A HOUSE RESOLUTION adoptING the permanent rules of the 2008 extra session of the north carolina house of representatives.
Be it resolved by the House of Representatives:
SECTION 1. The permanent rules of the 2007 Regular Session of the House of Representatives, with the following amendments, are adopted as the permanent rules of the 2008 Extra Session:
(1) RULE 1 shall read as follows: "RULE 1. Convening Hour. The House shall convene each legislative day at the hour fixed by the House. In the event the House adjourns on the preceding legislative day without having fixed an hour for reconvening, the House shall convene on the next legislative day at 10:00 A.M."
(2) Notwithstanding RULE 31(a), any resolution shall be introduced by submitting the resolution to the Principal Clerk's Office.
(3) Notwithstanding RULES 31 and 31.1:
a. The only resolutions that may be introduced or considered in the House are resolutions incorporating the findings and recommendation from the report of the House Select Committee to Investigate Alleged Misconduct and Other Matters Included in Indictments Against Representative Thomas E. Wright and resolutions to adjourn the 2008 Extra Session sine die. The caption of a resolution may be amended on the floor.
b. All bills shall be excluded from introduction or consideration in the House.
(4) Notwithstanding Rule 50, outside counsel to the House Select Committee to Investigate Alleged Misconduct and Other Matters Included in Indictments Against Representative Thomas E. Wright and outside counsel to Representative Thomas E. Wright may be present on the floor for the sole purpose of advising the Chair and Vice Chair of that Committee and Representative Wright respectively.
(5) Adoption of a resolution to expel a member of the House of Representatives shall require an affirmative vote of two‑thirds of all the members of the House, notwithstanding any other provision of law.
(6) RULE 31.1 shall not apply to resolutions adjourning the 2008 Extra Session sine die.
(7) Notwithstanding RULES 32, 38, and 41, a resolution may be placed on the calendar without being referred by the Speaker to a committee and on the same legislative day of its introduction or receipt from the Senate.
(8) Notwithstanding RULE 36(a), all House resolutions and joint resolutions may be reported from the standing committee or permanent subcommittee to which referred with recommendations as the standing committee or permanent subcommittee may desire to make.
(9) Notwithstanding RULE 41:
a. The first reading and reference to a standing committee of a House joint resolution shall occur on the legislative day of its introduction. The first reading and reference to a standing committee of a Senate joint resolution shall occur on the legislative day of its receipt on messages from the Senate. The Speaker shall give notice at each subsequent reading whether it is the second or third reading.
b. A joint resolution may be read more than once on the same day.
(10) Notwithstanding RULE 44(d), a conference report may be placed on the calendar for the legislative day on which the report is received.
(11) Notwithstanding RULE 59, only two members may be listed as primary sponsors of a resolution to expel a member of the House of Representatives. No members may be listed as cosponsors of that resolution.
SECTION 2. This resolution is effective upon adoption.