Stormwater Collection Project
|Click on number icons to view more information.
Purpose of Stormwater
- Use captured rainwater and air conditioning condensate to irrigate the grounds of the General Assembly complex.
- Minimize the flow of stormwater from the General Assembly complex into Raleigh’s stormwater system.
- Promote water conservation, stormwater control and environmental awareness in North Carolina.
Planned Use and Benefits
- Irrigation of grounds and gardens of the Legislative Building.
- Irrigation of isolated gardens throughout state government complex.
- Provide water for fountains around the Legislative Building.
- Reduction of nitrogen pollution into Raleigh’s stormwater system.
- Provide interactive computer kiosk for building visitors to see how the cistern works, current amount of water stored and facts about stormwater pollution and water conservation in North Carolina.
|Estimated annual volume of water from the Legislative Building currently flowing into Raleigh’s stormwater system:|
|Rainwater from roof surfaces:
|Condensate from air conditioning system:
|Size: 3 - 18,000 gallon concrete tanks (54,000 gallons)|
Location: Below ground in southwest corner of the Legislative Building lawn