Limited Civil Liability of Domestic Violence Shelters and Persons Associated With the Shelters.
§ 1-630. Definitions.
As used in this Article, the following terms mean:
(1) Client. - A person who is the victim of domestic violence, as defined in Chapter 50B of the General Statutes, or of nonconsensual sexual conduct or stalking, as defined in Chapter 50C of the General Statutes, and is using services or facilities of a shelter.
(2) Conduct. - One or more actions or omissions.
(3) Harm. - Injury, death, or loss to person or property.
(4) Perpetrator. - A person who has committed domestic violence and who bears one of the personal relationships specified in G.S. 50B-1(b) to the victim of domestic violence, or a person who has committed nonconsensual sexual conduct or stalking as defined in Chapter 50C of the General Statutes.
(5) Person associated with the shelter. - A person who is a director, owner, trustee, officer, employee, victim advocate, or volunteer connected with the shelter.
(6) Shelter. - A facility that meets the criteria set forth in G.S. 50B-9 and is funded through the Domestic Violence Center Fund providing shelter to victims of domestic violence, nonconsensual sexual conduct, or stalking.
(7) Victim advocate. - A person from a crime victim service organization who provides support and assistance for a victim of a crime during court proceedings and recovery efforts related to the crime.
(8) Volunteer. - An individual who provides any service at a shelter without expectation of receiving and without receiving any compensation or other form of remuneration, directly or indirectly, for the provision of the service. (2010-5, s. 2.)