§ 105-114. Nature of taxes; definitions.
(a) Repealed by Session Laws 2017-204, s. 1.1, effective August 11, 2017.
(a1) Scope. - The tax levied in this Article upon corporations is a privilege tax levied upon:
(1) Corporations organized under the laws of this State for the existence of the corporate rights and privileges granted by their charters, and the enjoyment, under the protection of the laws of this State, of the powers, rights, privileges and immunities derived from the State by the form of such existence; and
(2) Corporations not organized under the laws of this State for doing business in this State and for the benefit and protection which these corporations receive from the government and laws of this State in doing business in this State.
(a2) Condition for Doing Business. - If the corporation is organized under the laws of this State, the payment of the tax levied by this Article is a condition precedent to the right to continue in the corporate form of organization. If the corporation is not organized under the laws of this State, payment of this tax is a condition precedent to the right to continue to engage in doing business in this State.
(a3) Tax Year. - The tax levied in this Article is for the income year of the corporation in which the taxes become due.
(a4) No Double Taxation. - G.S. 105-122 does not apply to holding companies taxed under G.S. 105-120.2.
(b) Definitions. - The following definitions apply in this Article:
(1) City. - Defined in G.S. 105-228.90.
(1a) Code. - Defined in G.S. 105-228.90.
(2) Corporation. - A domestic corporation, a foreign corporation, an electric membership corporation organized under Chapter 117 of the General Statutes or doing business in this State, or an association that is organized for pecuniary gain, has capital stock represented by shares, whether with or without par value, and has privileges not possessed by individuals or partnerships. The term includes a mutual or capital stock savings and loan association or building and loan association chartered under the laws of any state or of the United States. The term includes a limited liability company or a partnership that elects to be taxed as a corporation under the Code, but does not otherwise include a limited liability company or a partnership.
(3) Doing business. - Each and every act, power, or privilege exercised or enjoyed in this State, as an incident to, or by virtue of the powers and privileges granted by the laws of this State.
(4) Income year. - Defined in G.S. 105-130.2(10).
(5) (Effective for taxable years beginning on or after January 1, 2017, and applicable to the calculation of franchise tax reported on the 2016 and later corporate income tax return) Total assets. - The sum of all cash, investments, furniture, fixtures, equipment, receivables, intangibles, and any other items of value owned by a person or a business entity.
(c) Recodified as G.S. 105-114.1 by Session Laws 2002-126, s. 30G.2(b), effective January 1, 2003. (1939, c. 158, s. 201; 1943, c. 400, s. 3; 1945, c. 708, s. 3; 1965, c. 287, s. 16; 1967, c. 286; 1969, c. 541, s. 6; 1973, c. 1287, s. 3; 1983, c. 713, s. 66; 1985, c. 656, s. 7; 1985 (Reg. Sess., 1986), c. 853, s. 1; 1987, c. 778, s. 1; 1987 (Reg. Sess., 1988), c. 1015, s. 2; 1989, c. 36, s. 2; 1989 (Reg. Sess., 1990), c. 981, s. 2; 1991, c. 30, s. 2; c. 689, s. 250; 1991 (Reg. Sess., 1992), c. 922, s. 3; 1993, c. 12, s. 4; c. 354, s. 11; c. 485, s. 5; 1997-118, s. 4; 1998-98, ss. 60, 76; 1999-337, s. 20; 2000-173, s. 8; 2001-327, s. 2(b); 2002-126, s. 30G.2(b); 2005-435, s. 59.2(a); 2006-66, s. 24A.2(a); 2006-162, ss. 3(b), 22; 2008-107, s. 28.7(a); 2014-3, ss. 14.1, 14.26; 2015-6, s. 2.3; 2015-241, s. 32.15(a); 2016-5, s. 1.7(a); 2017-204, s. 1.1; 2018-5, s. 38.2(a).)