Research and Development.
§ 105-129.50. (See note for repeal) Definitions.
The definitions in section 41 of the Code apply in this Article. In addition, the following definitions apply in this Article:
(1) Development tier one area. - Defined in G.S. 143B-437.08.
(2) Full-time job. - Defined in G.S. 105-129.81.
(4) North Carolina university research expenses. - Any amount the taxpayer paid or incurred to a research university for qualified research performed in this State or basic research performed in this State.
(4a) (Repealed effective for taxable years beginning on or after January 1, 2014) Participating community college. - A community college, as defined in G.S. 115D-2, that offers an associate in applied science degree in simulation and game development.
(5) Period of measurement. - Defined in the Small Business Size Regulations of the federal Small Business Administration.
(6) Qualified North Carolina research expenses. - Qualified research expenses, other than North Carolina university research expenses, for research performed in this State.
(7) Receipts. - Defined in the Small Business Size Regulations of the federal Small Business Administration.
(8) Related person. - Defined in G.S. 105-163.010.
(9) Research university. - An institution of higher education that meets one or both of the following conditions:
a. It is classified as one of the following in the most recent edition of "A Classification of Institutions of Higher Education", the official report of The Carnegie Foundation for the Advancement of Teaching:
1. Doctoral/Research Universities, Extensive or Intensive.
2. Masters Colleges and Universities, I or II.
3. Baccalaureate Colleges, Liberal Arts or General.
b. It is a constituent institution of The University of North Carolina.
(10) Small business. - A business whose annual receipts, combined with the annual receipts of all related persons, for the applicable period of measurement did not exceed one million dollars ($1,000,000). (2004-124, s. 32D.2; 2010-147, s. 3.2; 2011-330, s. 4; 2013-316, s. 2.3(b).)