§ 115D-2. Definitions.
As used in this Chapter:
(1) The "administrative area" of an institution comprises the county or counties directly responsible for the local financial support and local administration of such institution as provided in this Chapter.
(2) The term "community college" is defined as an educational institution operating under the provisions of this Chapter and dedicated primarily to the educational needs of the service area which it serves, and may offer
a. The freshmen and sophomore courses of a college of arts and sciences, authorized by G.S. 115D-4.1;
b. Organized credit curricula for the training of technicians; curricular courses may carry transfer credit to a senior college or university where the course is comparable in content and quality and is appropriate to a chosen course of study;
c. Vocational, trade, and technical specialty courses and programs, and
d. Courses in general adult education.
(3) The term "institution" refers to any institution established pursuant to this Chapter.
(4) The term "regional institution" means an institution whose service area as assigned by the State Board of Community Colleges includes three or more counties; provided, however, any institution receiving funds as a regional institution on May 1, 1987, shall continue to receive funds on that basis.
(5) The term "State Board" refers to the State Board of Community Colleges.
(6) The "tax-levying authority" of an institution is the board of commissioners of the county or all of the boards of commissioners of the counties, jointly, which constitute the administrative area of the institution.
(7) Repealed by Session Laws 1987, c. 564, s. 1.
(8) "Vending facilities" has the same meaning as it does in G.S. 111-42(d), but also means any mechanical or electronic device dispensing items or something of value or entertainment or services for a fee, regardless of the method of activation, and regardless of the means of payment, whether by coin, currency, tokens, or other means. (1963, c. 448, s. 23; 1969, c. 562, s. 2; 1973, c. 590, s. 1; 1979, c. 462, s. 2; c. 553; c. 896, s. 1; 1979, 2nd Sess., c. 1130, s. 1; 1983, c. 761, s. 104; 1983 (Reg. Sess., 1984), c. 1034, s. 169; 1987, c. 564, s. 1; 1999-84, s. 1; 2005-103, s. 4; 2006-203, s. 35.)