(a) The tax-levying authority of each institution shall be responsible for providing, in accordance with the provisions of G.S. 115D-33 or 115D-34, as appropriate, adequate funds to meet the financial needs of the institutions for the following budget items:
(1) Plant Fund: Acquisition of land; erection of all buildings; alterations and additions to buildings; purchase of automobiles, buses, trucks, and other motor vehicles; purchase or rental of all equipment necessary for the maintenance of buildings and grounds and operation of plants; and purchase of all furniture and equipment not provided for administrative and instructional purposes.
(2) Current expenses:
a. Plant operation and maintenance:
1. Salaries of janitors, maids, watchmen, maintenance and repair employees.
2. Cost of fuel, water, power, and telephone services.
3. Cost of janitorial supplies and materials.
4. Cost of operation of motor vehicles.
5. Cost of maintenance and repairs of buildings and grounds.
6. Maintenance and replacement of furniture and equipment provided from local funds.
7. Maintenance of plant heating, electrical, and plumbing equipment.
8. Maintenance of all other equipment, including motor vehicles, provided by local funds.
9. Rental of land and buildings.
10. Any other expenses necessary for plant operation and maintenance.
b. Support services:
1. Cost of insurance for buildings, contents, motor vehicles, workers' compensation for institutional employees paid from local funds, and other necessary insurance.
2. Any tort claims awarded against the institution due to the negligence of the institutional employees.
3. Cost of bonding institutional employees for the protection of local funds and property.
4. Cost of elections held in accordance with G.S. 115D-33 and 115D-35.
5. Legal fees incurred in connection with local administration and operation of the institution.
(b) The board of trustees of each institution may apply local public funds provided in accordance with G.S. 115D-33(a), as appropriate, or private funds, or both, to the supplementation of items of the current expense budget financed from State funds, provided a budget is submitted in accordance with G.S. 115D-54.
(c) The board of trustees of each institution may apply institutional funds provided in accordance with G.S. 115D-54(b)(3) for such purposes as may be determined by the board of trustees of the institution.
(d) The counties that agree to have satellite campuses of community colleges located in them accept the maintenance and utility costs of these satellite campuses. (1963, c. 448, s. 23; 1979, c. 462, s. 2; 1981, c. 157, s. 3; 1985, c. 757, s. 148(a); 1987, c. 564, s. 11; 1995, c. 509, s. 64; 1999-84, s. 5.)