§ 130A-155.1.  Submission of certificate to college or universities.

(a) Except as otherwise provided in this section, no person shall attend a college or university, whether public, private, or religious, unless a certificate of immunization or a record of immunization from a high school located in North Carolina indicating that the person has received immunizations required by G.S. 130A-152 is presented to the college or university. The person shall present a certificate or record of immunization on or before the date the person first registers for a quarter or semester during which the student will reside on the campus or first registers for more than four traditional day credit hours to the registrar of the college or university. If a certificate or record of immunization is not in the possession of the college or university on the date of first registration, the college or university shall present a notice of deficiency to the student. The student shall have 30 calendar days from the date of the student's first registration to obtain the required immunization. If immunization requires a series of doses and the period necessary to give the vaccine at standard intervals extends beyond the date of the first registration, the student shall be allowed to attend the college or university upon written certification by a physician that the standard series is in progress. The physician shall state the time period needed to complete the series. Upon termination of this time period, the college or university shall not permit the student to continue in attendance unless the required immunization has been obtained.

(b) The college or university shall maintain on file immunization records for all students attending the school which contain the information required for a certificate of immunization as specified in G.S. 130A-154. These certificates shall be open to inspection by the Department and the local health department during normal business hours. When a student transfers to another college or university, the college or university which the student previously attended shall, upon request, send a copy of the student's immunization record at no charge to the college or university to which the student has transferred.

(c) Within 60 calendar days after the commencement of a new school year, the college or university shall file an immunization report with the Department. The report shall be filed on forms prepared by the Department and shall state the number of students attending the school or facility, the number of students who had not obtained the required immunization within 30 days of their first attendance, the number of students who received a medical exemption and the number of students who received a religious exemption.

(d) Repealed by Session Laws 1999-110, s. 5.

(e) The provisions of this section shall not apply to:

(1) Educational institutions established under Chapter 115D of the General Statutes.

(2) Students residing off-campus and registering for any combination of:

a. Off-campus courses.

b. Evening courses.

c. Weekend courses.

d. No more than four traditional day credit hours in on-campus courses. (1985, c. 692, s. 1; 1987, c. 782, s. 17; 1991, c. 381, s. 1; 1999-110, s. 5; 2007-99, s. 1.)