§ 131E-114. Special care units; disclosure of information required.
(a) A nursing home or combination home licensed under this Part that provides special care for persons with Alzheimer's disease or other dementias in a special care unit shall make the following disclosures pertaining to the special care provided that distinguishes the special care unit as being especially designed for residents with Alzheimer's disease or other dementias. The disclosure shall be made annually, in writing, to all of the following:
(1) The Department, as part of its licensing procedures.
(2) Each person seeking placement within a special care unit, or the person's authorized representative, prior to entering into an agreement with the person to provide special care.
(b) Information that must be disclosed in writing shall include, but is not limited to, all of the following:
(1) A statement of the overall philosophy and mission of the licensed facility and how it reflects the special needs of residents with dementia.
(2) The process and criteria for placement, transfer, or discharge to or from the special care unit.
(3) The process used for assessment and establishment of the plan of care and its implementation, as required under State and federal law.
(4) Typical staffing patterns and how the patterns reflect the resident's need for increased care and supervision.
(5) Dementia-specific staff training.
(6) Physical environment features designed specifically for the special care unit.
(7) Alzheimer's disease and other dementia-specific programming.
(8) Opportunities for family involvement.
(9) Additional costs or fees to the resident for special care.
(c) As part of its license renewal procedures and inspections, the Department shall examine for accuracy the written disclosures made by each licensed facility subject to this section.
(d) Nothing in this section shall be construed as prohibiting a nursing home or combination home that does not offer a special care unit from admitting a person with Alzheimer's disease or other dementias. The disclosures required by this section apply only to a nursing home or combination home that advertises, markets, or otherwise promotes itself as providing a special care unit for persons with Alzheimer's disease or other dementias.
(e) As used in this section, the term "special care unit" means a wing or hallway within a nursing home, or a program provided by a nursing home, that is designated especially for residents with Alzheimer's disease or other dementias, or other special needs disease or condition, as determined by the Medical Care Commission, which may include mental disabilities. (2000-154, s. 6.)