§ 162A‑14.  Conveyances and contracts between political subdivisions and authority.

The governing body of any political subdivision is hereby authorized and empowered:

(1) Pursuant to the provisions of G.S. 160A‑274 and subject to the approval of the Local Government Commission, except for action taken hereunder by any State agency, to transfer jurisdiction over, and to lease, lend, grant or convey to an authority upon the request of the authority, upon such terms and conditions as the governing body of such political subdivision may agree with the authority as reasonable and fair, the whole or any part of any existing water system or sewer system or such real or personal property as may be necessary or desirable in connection with the acquisition, construction, reconstruction, improvement, extension, enlargement, equipment, repair, maintenance or operation of any water system or sewer system or part thereof by the authority, including public roads and other property already devoted to public use;

(2) To make and enter into contracts or agreements with an authority, upon such terms and conditions and for such periods as are agreed to by the governing body of such political subdivision and the authority;

a. For the collection, treatment or disposal of sewage by the authority or for the purchase of a supply of water from the authority;

b. For the collecting by such political subdivision or by the authority of fees, rates or charges for water furnished to such political subdivision or to its inhabitants and for the services and facilities rendered to such political subdivision or to its inhabitants by any water system or sewer system of the authority, and for the enforcement of delinquent charges for such water, services and facilities;

c. For shutting off the supply of water furnished by any water system owned or operated by such political subdivision in the event that the owner, tenant or occupant of any premises utilizing such water shall fail to pay any rates, fees or charges for the use of or for the services furnished by any sewer system of the authority, within the time or times specified in such contract; and

d. For requiring the owners of developed property on which there are situated one or more residential dwelling units or commercial establishments located within the corporate limits of the political subdivision and located within a reasonable distance of any waterline or sewer connection line owned, leased as lessee, or operated by the authority to connect to the line and collecting, on behalf of the authority, charges for the connections and requiring, as a condition to the issuance of any development permit or building permit by the political subdivision, evidence that any impact fee by the authority has been paid by or on behalf of the applicant for the permit. In accordance with G.S. 87‑97.1, when developed property is located so as to be served by the authority's water line and the property owner has connected to that water line, the property owner may continue to use any private water well located on the property for nonpotable purposes as long as the water well is not interconnected to the authority's water line and the authority shall not require the owner of any such water well to abandon, cap, or otherwise compromise the integrity of the water well.

(3) To fix, and revise from time to time, rates, fees and other charges for water and for the services furnished or to be furnished by any water system or sewer system of the authority, or parts thereof, under any contract between the authority and such political subdivision, and to pledge all or any part of the proceeds of such rates, fees and charges to the payment of any obligation of such political subdivision under such contract; and

(4) In its discretion, to submit to the qualified electors under the election laws applicable to such political subdivision any contract or agreement which such governing body is authorized to make and enter into with the authority under the provisions of this Article. (1955, c. 1195, s. 13; 1971, c. 892, s. 1; 1975, c. 224, ss. 5, 6; 1995, c. 511, s. 2; 2015‑246, s. 3.5(i).)