§ 163-228. Register of absentee requests, applications, and ballots issued; a public record.
(a) The State Board of Elections shall approve an official register in which the county board of elections in each county of the State shall record the following information:
(1) Name of voter for whom application and ballots are being requested, and, if applicable, the name and address of the voter's near relative or verifiable legal guardian who requested the application and ballots for the voter.
(2) Number of assigned voter's application when issued.
(3) Precinct in which applicant is registered.
(4) Address to which ballots are to be mailed, or, if the voter voted pursuant to G.S. 163-227.2, 163-227.5, and 163-227.6, a notation of that fact.
(5) Repealed by Session Laws 2009-537, s. 3, effective January 1, 2010, and applicable with respect to elections held on or after that date.
(6) Date request for application for ballots is received by the county board of elections.
(7) The voter's party affiliation.
(8) The date the ballots were mailed or delivered to the voter.
(9) Whatever additional information and official action may be required by this Article.
(b) The State Board of Elections may provide for the register to be kept by electronic data processing equipment, and a copy shall be printed out each business day or a supplement printed out each business day of new information.
(c) The register of absentee requests, applications and ballots issued shall constitute a public record and shall be opened to the inspection of any registered voter of the county within 60 days before and 30 days after an election in which absentee ballots were authorized, or at any other time when good and sufficient reason may be assigned for its inspection.
(d) The State Board shall require the information in the official register provided for in this section and the list required by G.S. 163-232 to be transmitted to the State Board. The State Board shall adopt rules to implement this subsection, including frequency of transmittal. (1939, c. 159, ss. 3, 9; 1945, c. 758, s. 8; 1953, c. 1114; 1963, c. 457, s. 3; 1965, c. 1208; 1967, c. 775, s. 1; c. 952, s. 4; 1973, c. 536, s. 1; 1977, c. 469, s. 1; 1991, c. 636, s. 21; 1999-455, s. 7; 2009-537, s. 3; 2017-6, s. 3; 2018-144, s. 3.4(h); 2018-146, ss. 3.1(a), (b), 4.9.)