(a) Any lease, or a memorandum thereof, the expiration or termination of which may terminate the condominium or reduce its size shall be recorded. Every lessor of those leases must sign the declaration, and the declaration shall state:
(1) Where the complete lease may be inspected;
(2) The date on which the lease is scheduled to expire;
(3) A legally sufficient description of the real estate subject to the lease;
(4) Any right of the unit owners to redeem the reversion and the manner whereby those rights may be exercised or a statement that they do not have those rights;
(5) Any right of the unit owners to remove any improvements after the expiration or termination of the lease or a statement that they do not have those rights; and
(6) Any rights of the unit owners to renew the lease and the conditions of any renewal or a statement that they do not have those rights.
(b) After the declaration for a leasehold condominium is recorded, neither the lessor nor his successor in interest may terminate the leasehold interest of a unit owner who, after demand, makes timely payment of his share of the rent determined in proportion to his common element interest and otherwise complies with all covenants which, if violated, would entitle the lessor to terminate the lease. A unit owner's leasehold interest is not affected by failure of any other person to pay rent or fulfill any other covenant under the lease.
(c) Acquisition of the leasehold interest of any unit owner by the owner of the reversion or remainder does not merge the leasehold and fee simple interests unless the leasehold interests of all unit owners subject to that reversion or remainder are acquired.
(d) If the expiration or termination of a lease decreases the number of units in a condominium, the allocated interests shall be reallocated in accordance with G.S. 47C-1-107(a) as though those units had been taken by eminent domain. Reallocations shall be confirmed by an amendment to the declaration prepared, executed, and recorded by the association. (1985 (Reg. Sess., 1986), c. 877, s. 1.)