(a) The joint subcommittee of the North Carolina Medical Board and the Board of Nursing created pursuant to G.S. 90-18.2 shall administer the provisions of this Article and the rules adopted pursuant to this Article; Provided, however, that actions of the joint subcommittee pursuant to this Article shall not require approval by the North Carolina Medical Board and the Board of Nursing. For purposes of this Article, the joint subcommittee shall be enlarged by four additional members, including two certified midwives and two obstetricians who have had working experience with midwives.
(b) The joint subcommittee shall adopt rules pursuant to this Article to establish:
(1) A fee which shall cover application and initial approval up to a maximum of one hundred dollars ($100.00);
(2) An annual renewal fee to be paid by January 1 of each year by persons approved pursuant to this Article up to a maximum of fifty dollars ($50.00);
(3) A reinstatement fee for a lapsed approval up to a maximum of five dollars ($5.00);
(4) The form and contents of the applications which shall include information related to the applicant's education and certification by the American College of Nurse-Midwives; and
(5) The procedure for establishing physician supervision as required by this Article.
(c) The joint subcommittee may solicit, employ, or contract for technical assistance and clerical assistance and may purchase or contract for the materials and services it needs.
(d) All fees collected on behalf of the joint subcommittee and all receipts of every kind and nature, as well as the compensation paid the members of the joint subcommittee and the necessary expenses incurred by them in the performance of the duties imposed upon them, shall be reported annually to the State Treasurer. All fees and other moneys received by the joint subcommittee pursuant to the provisions of the General Statutes shall be kept in a separate fund by the joint subcommittee, to be held and expended only for such purposes as are proper and necessary to the discharge of the duties of the joint subcommittee and to enforce the provisions of this Article. No expense incurred by the joint subcommittee shall be charged against the State.
(e) Members of the joint subcommittee who are not officers or employees of the State shall receive compensation and reimbursement for travel and subsistence expenses at the rates specified in G.S. 138-5. Members of the joint subcommittee who are officers or employees of the State shall receive reimbursement for travel and subsistence expenses at the rate set out in G.S. 138-6. (1983, c. 897, s. 1; 1995, c. 94, s. 31.)