GENERAL ASSEMBLY OF NORTH CAROLINA
SENATE BILL 276
Short Title: Spirituous Liquor Tastings at ABC Stores.
Rules and Operations of the Senate.
March 10, 2011
A BILL TO BE ENTITLED
AN ACT to allow spirituous Liquor tasting AT LOCAL abc stores.
The General Assembly of North Carolina enacts:
SECTION 1. Chapter 18B of the General Statutes is amended by adding a new section to read:
"§ 18B-1120. Spirituous liquor tasting at ABC stores.
The holder of any commercial permit issued under G.S. 18B-1100, a distiller broker representative permit, or a distiller representative permit may conduct a consumer tasting event at an ABC store subject to the following conditions:
(1) Each consumer is limited to tasting samples which total no more than 1.5 ounces of spirituous liquor in any calendar day.
(2) The consumer shall not be charged for any spirituous liquor tasting sample.
(3) The spirituous liquor used in the consumer tasting event shall be purchased at the regular sales price from the ABC store where the event is being held by the permit holder conducting the event.
(4) A consumer tasting event shall not be allowed when the sale of spirituous liquor is otherwise prohibited on the premises where the tasting is to be conducted.
(5) Tasting samples are not to be offered to, or allowed to be consumed by, any person under the legal age for consuming spirituous liquor.
(6) Point-of-sale advertising materials and advertising specialties may be furnished for use at the event by the permit holder conducting the event.
(7) A consumer tasting event may be advertised by the permit holder in any type of media, including, but not limited to, print, radio, television, Internet, and signage and these advertisements may include the date, time, location, and other information regarding the event."
SECTION 2. This act becomes effective October 1, 2011.