GENERAL ASSEMBLY OF NORTH CAROLINA
SESSION LAW 2015-30
HOUSE BILL 878
AN ACT to expand the membership of the board of trustees of the north carolina School of Science and Mathematics.
The General Assembly of North Carolina enacts:
SECTION 1. G.S. 116‑233(a) reads as rewritten:
the provisions of G.S. 116‑31(d), there shall be a Board of Trustees
of the School, which shall consist of
27up to 30 members as
(1) Thirteen members who shall be appointed by the Board of Governors of The University of North Carolina, one from each congressional district.
(2) Four members without regard to residency who shall be appointed by the Board of Governors of The University of North Carolina.
(3) Three members, ex officio, who shall be the chief academic officers, respectively, of constituent institutions. The Board of Governors shall in 1985 and quadrennially thereafter designate the three constituent institutions whose chief academic officers shall so serve, such designations to expire on June 30, 1989, and quadrennially thereafter.
(4) The chief academic officer of a college or university in North Carolina other than a constituent institution, ex officio. The Board of Governors shall designate in 1985 and quadrennially thereafter which college or university whose chief academic officer shall so serve, such designation to expire on June 30, 1989, and quadrennially thereafter.
(5) Two members appointed by the General Assembly upon the recommendation of the President Pro Tempore of the Senate in accordance with G.S. 120‑121.
(6) Two members appointed by the General Assembly upon the recommendation of the Speaker of the House of Representatives in accordance with G.S. 120‑121.
(7) Two members appointed by the Governor.
(8) The president of the student government, ex officio, who shall be a nonvoting member.
(9) Up to two additional nonvoting members selected at the discretion of the chancellor and the Board of Trustees, with terms expiring June 30 of each year."
SECTION 2. G.S.116‑234(d) reads as rewritten:
"(d) Members of the
Board of Trustees, other than ex officio members under G.S.
116‑233(a)(3) and G.S. 116‑233(a)(8), shall receive
such per diem compensation and necessary travel and subsistence expenses while
engaged in the discharge of their official duties as is provided by law for
members of State boards and commissions. Ex officio members under G.S. 116‑233(a)(3)
and G.S. 116‑233(a)(8) shall be reimbursed for travel
expenses as provided by G.S. 138‑6."
SECTION 3. This act becomes effective July 1, 2015.
In the General Assembly read three times and ratified this the 18th day of May, 2015.
s/ Daniel J. Forest
President of the Senate
s/ Tim Moore
Speaker of the House of Representatives
s/ Pat McCrory
Approved 11:52 a.m. this 21st day of May, 2015