GENERAL ASSEMBLY OF NORTH CAROLINA
EXTRA SESSION 2016
HOUSE SIMPLE RESOLUTION DRHR30001-MC-1B (02/16)
A HOUSE RESOLUTION adopting the permanent rules of the 2016 extra session of the north carolina house of representatives.
Be it resolved by the House of Representatives:
SECTION 1. The permanent rules of the 2015 Regular Session of the House of Representatives, with the following amendments, are adopted as the permanent rules of the 2016 Extra Session:
(1) RULE 1 shall read as follows: "RULE 1. Convening Hour. The House shall convene each legislative day at the hour fixed by the House. In the event the House adjourns on the preceding legislative day without having fixed an hour for reconvening, the House shall convene on the next legislative day at 10:00 A.M."
(2) Notwithstanding RULE 26, the Committee on Rules, Calendar, and Operations of the House and the Ethics Committee shall be comprised of the members who were appointed during the Regular Session and other members as the Speaker may appoint at the beginning of the Extra Session. The Chairs and Vice‑Chairs of those committees shall be those who were appointed by the Speaker during the Regular Session.
(2a) Regarding the Redistricting Committee, RULE 26(a) through (d) shall read as follows: "RULE 26(a). The Speaker shall appoint a chair, or cochairs, of the Redistricting Committee and shall establish the number of members of the Committee and appoint the members in a manner to reflect the partisan membership of the House." NOTE: (e) through (h) would remain intact for this committee.
(3) Notwithstanding RULE 27, the standing committees of the House are:
a. Rules, Calendar, and
Operations of the House
All rules of the 2015 Regular Session applicable to standing committees of the House other than the committees named in this subdivision are inoperative. The Speaker may appoint select committees and fill vacancies of standing committees under RULE 26.
(4) Notwithstanding RULE 31(a), any bill or resolution shall be introduced by submitting the bill or resolution to the Principal Clerk's Office.
(5) Notwithstanding RULES 31 and 31.1:
a. The only resolutions that may be introduced or considered in the House are resolutions adjourning the 2016 Extra Session sine die.
b. All bills shall be excluded from introduction or consideration in the House, other than bills adopting new redistricting plans for the House of Representatives of the Congress of the United States and bills providing for the scheduling and implementation of the Congressional primary election in 2016.
(6) RULE 31.1 shall not apply to resolutions adjourning the 2016 Extra Session sine die and bills adopting new redistricting plans for the House of Representatives of the Congress of the United States and bills providing for the scheduling and implementation of the Congressional primary election in 2016.
(7) Notwithstanding RULES 32 and 41, a resolution or bill may be placed on the calendar without being referred by the Speaker to a committee and on the same legislative day of its introduction or receipt from the Senate.
(8) Notwithstanding RULE 41:
a. The first reading and reference to a standing committee of a House bill shall occur on the legislative day of its introduction. The first reading and reference to a standing committee of a Senate bill shall occur on the legislative day of its receipt on messages from the Senate. The Speaker shall give notice at each subsequent reading whether it is the second or third reading.
b. Except for a bill governed by Section 23 of Article II of the North Carolina Constitution, a bill may be read more than once on the same day.
(9) RULE 43(a1) shall read as follows: "(a1) No amendment may be offered on the floor of the House unless that amendment was proposed in committee, and any member of the House may propose an amendment in committee on a bill, whether or not that member of the House is a member of the committee. An amendment must replace the entire text of the bill that is being amended and be accompanied by a map showing all of the Congressional districts in the State. This subsection applies only to amendments on a bill adopting new redistricting plans for the House of Representatives of the Congress of the United States."
(10) Notwithstanding RULE 44(d), a conference report may be placed on the calendar for the legislative day on which the report is received.
(11) Notwithstanding RULE 59, any member wishing to cosponsor a bill or resolution that has been introduced may do so on the day during which the bill or resolution was first read and referred, but only while the bill or resolution is in the possession of the House.
SECTION 2. This resolution is effective upon adoption.