§ 161-10. Uniform fees of registers of deeds.
(a) Except as otherwise provided in this Article, all fees collected under this section shall be deposited into the county general fund. While performing the duties of the office, the register of deeds shall collect the following fees which shall be uniform throughout the State:
(1) Instruments in General. - For registering or filing any instrument for which no other provision is made by this section, the fee shall be twenty-six dollars ($26.00) for the first 15 pages plus four dollars ($4.00) for each additional page or fraction thereof.
For any instrument that assigns more than one security instrument as defined in G.S. 45-36.4(18) by reference to previously recorded instrument recording data that are required to be indexed pursuant to G.S. 161-14.1(b), the fee shall be an additional ten dollars ($10.00) for each additional reference.
For an instrument that contains excessive recording data, the fee shall be an additional two dollars ($2.00) for each party listed in the instrument in excess of 20. An instrument contains excessive recording data when there are more than 20 distinct parties listed in the instrument, including any attachments and exhibits, that require indexing pursuant to G.S. 147-54.3 or this Chapter.
When a document is presented for registration that consists of multiple instruments, the fee shall be an additional ten dollars ($10.00) for each additional instrument. A document consists of multiple instruments when it contains two or more instruments with different legal consequences or intent, each of which is separately executed and acknowledged and could be recorded alone.
(1a) Deeds of Trust, Mortgages, and Cancellation of Deeds of Trust and Mortgages. - For registering or filing any deed of trust or mortgage the fee shall be sixty-four dollars ($64.00) for the first 35 pages plus four dollars ($4.00) for each additional page or fraction thereof.
When a deed of trust or mortgage is presented for registration that contains one or more additional instruments, the fee shall be ten dollars ($10.00) for each additional instrument. A deed of trust or mortgage contains one or more additional instruments if such additional instrument or instruments has or have different legal consequences or intent, each of which is separately executed and acknowledged and could be recorded alone.
For recording records of satisfaction, or the cancellation of record by any other means, of deeds of trust or mortgages, there shall be no fee.
(2) Marriage Licenses. - For issuing a license sixty dollars ($60.00); for issuing a delayed certificate with one certified copy twenty dollars ($20.00); and for a proceeding for correction of an application, license or certificate, with one certified copy ten dollars ($10.00).
(3) Plats. - For each original or revised plat recorded twenty-one dollars ($21.00) per sheet or page; for furnishing a certified copy of a plat five dollars ($5.00).
(4) Right-of-Way Plans. - For each original or amended plan and profile sheet recorded twenty-one dollars ($21.00) for the first page and five dollars ($5.00) per page for each additional page. This fee is to be collected from the Board of Transportation.
(5) Registration of Birth Certificate One Year or More after Birth. - For preparation of necessary papers when birth to be registered in another county ten dollars ($10.00); for registration when necessary papers prepared in another county, with one certified copy ten dollars ($10.00); for preparation of necessary papers and registration in the same county, with one certified copy twenty dollars ($20.00).
(6) Amendment of Birth or Death Record. - For preparation of amendment and affecting correction ten dollars ($10.00).
(7) Legitimations. - For preparation of all documents concerned with legitimations ten dollars ($10.00).
(8) Certified Copies of Birth and Death Certificates and Marriage Licenses. - For furnishing a certified copy of a death or birth certificate or marriage license ten dollars ($10.00). Provided however, a register of deeds, in accordance with G.S. 130A-93, may issue without charge a certified birth certificate to any person over the age of 62 years. Provided, however, upon verification of voter registration, a register of deeds, in accordance with G.S. 130A-93, shall issue without charge a certified copy of a birth certificate or a certified copy of a marriage license to any registered voter who declares the registered voter is registered to vote in this State and does not have a certified copy of that registered voter's birth certificate or marriage license necessary to obtain photo identification acceptable under G.S. 163A-1145. Any declaration shall prominently include the penalty under G.S. 163A-1389(13) for falsely or fraudulently making the declaration.
(8a) Repealed by Session Laws 2012-18, s. 2.2, as amended by Session Laws 2012-194, s. 54, effective July 1, 2012.
(9) Certified Copies. - For furnishing a certified copy of an instrument for which no other provision is made by this section five dollars ($5.00) for the first page, plus two dollars ($2.00) for each additional page or fraction thereof.
(10) Comparing Copy for Certification. - For comparing and certifying a copy of any instrument filed for registration, when the copy is furnished by the party filing the instrument for registration and at the time of filing thereof five dollars ($5.00).
(11) Uncertified Copies. - A register of deeds who supplies uncertified copies of instruments, or index pages, as a convenience to the public, may charge fees that the register of deeds determines bear a reasonable relation to the quality of copies supplied and the cost of purchasing and maintaining copying and/or computer equipment. These fees may be changed from time to time, but the amount of these fees shall at all times be uniform and prominently posted in the office of the register of deeds.
(12) Notarial Acts. - For taking an acknowledgment, oath, or affirmation or performing any other notarial act the maximum fee set in G.S. 10B-31 or G.S. 10B-118 for electronic notarial acts. This fee shall not be charged if the act is performed as a part of one of the services for which a fee is provided by this subsection; except that this fee shall be charged in addition to the fees for registering, filing, or recording instruments or plats as provided by subdivisions (1) and (3) of this subsection.
(13) Uniform Commercial Code. - The following fees apply for services related to financing statements or other records under Part 5 of Article 9 of Chapter 25 of the General Statutes:
a. For filing and indexing financing statements or records with two or fewer pages, thirty-eight dollars ($38.00).
b. For filing and indexing financing statements or records with more than two pages, forty-five dollars ($45.00) for the first 10 pages, plus two dollars ($2.00) for each additional page.
c. For responding to an information request, including a communication with respect to requests for financing statement information for a particular debtor, thirty-eight dollars ($38.00).
This subdivision shall not apply to either the recording or the satisfaction of a deed of trust or mortgage, when such deed of trust or mortgage acted as a fixture filing or financing statement covering as-extracted collateral or timber to be cut as authorized under G.S. 25-9-502(c).
(14) Torrens Registration. - Such fees as are provided in G.S. 43-5.
(15) Master Forms. - Such fees as are provided for instruments in general.
(16) Repealed by Session Laws 2011-296, s. 1, effective October 1, 2011.
(17) Qualification of Notary Public. - For administering the oaths of office to a notary public and making the appropriate record entries as provided in G.S. 10B-10 ten dollars ($10.00).
(18) Reinstatement of Articles of Incorporation. - For filing reinstatements of Articles of Incorporation prepared pursuant to G.S. 105-232; such fees as provided for instruments in general. The fee shall be paid by the corporation affected.
(18a) Nonstandard Document. - For registering or filing any document not in compliance with the recording standards adopted under G.S. 161-14(b), the fee shall be twenty-five dollars ($25.00) in addition to all other applicable recording fees.
(19) Miscellaneous Services. - For performing miscellaneous services such as faxing documents, providing laminated copies of documents, expedited delivery of documents, and similar services, the cost of the service.
(b) The uniform fees set forth in this section are complete and exclusive and no other fees shall be charged by the register of deeds.
(c) These fees shall be collected in every case prior to filing, registration, recordation, certification or other service rendered by the register of deeds unless by law it is provided that the service shall be rendered without charge. (Code, ss. 710, 3109, 3751; 1887, c. 283; 1891, c. 324; 1897, cc. 27, 68; 1899, c. 17, s. 2; c. 247, s. 3; cc. 261, 302, 578, 723; 1901, c. 294; 1903, c. 792; 1905, cc. 226, 292, 319; Rev., s. 2776; 1911, c. 55, s. 3; C.S., s. 3906; 1967, c. 639, s. 4; c. 823, s. 33; 1969, c. 80, s. 1; c. 912, s. 3; 1973, c. 507, s. 5; c. 1317; 1975, c. 428; 1977, 2nd Sess., c. 1132; 1981, c. 968, ss. 1, 2; 1983, c. 894, ss. 2, 3; 1987, c. 792, ss. 2-5; 1989, c. 523, s. 1; 1991, c. 636, s. 18; c. 683, s. 3; c. 693, s. 1; 1991 (Reg. Sess., 1992), c. 1030, s. 49; 1993, c. 425, s. 1; 1997-309, s. 9; 2000-167, s. 1; 2000-169, s. 44; 2001-390, s. 1; 2005-123, s. 7; 2005-391, s. 8; 2008-107, s. 29.7(a); 2009-451, ss. 17.8(a), 20A.4(a); 2011-296, s. 1; 2012-18, s. 2.2; 2012-79, s. 2.16; 2012-194, s. 54; 2013-225, s. 7(a), (b); 2013-381, s. 3.3; 2015-206, s. 1; 2015-227, s. 1; 2016-86, s. 1; 2017-6, s. 3.)