Higher Education Budget History Search
This database contains University of North Carolina operating and capital appropriations since 1971. The data was extracted from budget overviews/money reports prepared by the General Assembly's Fiscal Research Division and from legislative session laws. The database also includes budget special provisions since 1987.
The following is a brief description of the searchable fields:
- Campus: A search can be made by each of the 16 UNC universities, the NC School of Science and Math, the UNC General Administration (UNC-GA), Private Colleges, UNC-TV, and UNC Hospitals. If the specific campus is not known, choose the option [Any]. The option [All] refers to an appropriation that was given to all universities.
- Session Year: A search can be done on a specific year or on a range of years.
- Expenditure Type: A search can be done on an operating appropriation by choosing either [Recurring] or [Non-Recurring]. Special provisions in budget bills that direct how funds are to be spent can be found by choosing [Provision]. For capital appropriations, the choices are as follows:
- [Bond] - refers of a general obligation bond that requires a public vote
- [Capital] - refers to capital funded by the state General Fund
- [COPS] - refers to certificates of participation; debt not required to have a public vote
- [R & R] - refers to repairs and renovation projects funded by the General Fund
- [Self Liquidating] - refers to capital projects funded by non General Fund revenues and gifts
- Program Name & Explanation: A search can be made on a specific program name and/or a subject or program type.
Example: The following is an example of the format for search results. In this example, a search was requested on [Any] campus and [Any] expenditure type for no specified years on the term pharmacy.
Note: Do not search on program name and explanation at the same time.
For additional information on the UNC system, please contact Brett Altman at 919-733-4910.