§ 18B-1002. Special one-time permits.
(a) Kinds of Permits. - In addition to the other permits authorized by this Chapter, the Commission may issue permits for the following activities:
(1) A permit may be issued to a person who acquires ownership or possession of alcoholic beverages through bankruptcy, inheritance, foreclosure, judicial sale, or other special occurrence, and who does not already have a permit authorizing the sale of that kind of alcoholic beverage. The permit may authorize the sale or other disposition of the alcoholic beverages in a manner prescribed by the Commission.
(2) A permit may be issued to a nonprofit organization to allow the retail sale of malt beverages, unfortified wine, fortified wine, or mixed beverages, or to allow brown-bagging, at a single fund-raising event of that organization. A permit for this purpose shall not be issued for the sale of any kind of alcoholic beverage in a jurisdiction where the sale of that alcoholic beverage is not lawful.
(3) A permit may be issued to a permittee who is going out of business to authorize the sale or other disposition of his alcoholic beverages stock in a manner that would not otherwise be authorized under his permit.
(4) A permit may be issued to a collector of wine, decorative decanters of spirituous liquor, or antique spirituous liquor authorizing that person to bring into the State, transport, or possess as a collector, a greater amount of those alcoholic beverages than is otherwise authorized by this Chapter, or to sell those alcoholic beverages in a manner prescribed by the Commission.
(5) A permit may be issued to a unit of local government, or to a nonprofit organization or a political organization to serve wine, malt beverages, and spirituous liquor at a ticketed event held to allow the unit of local government or organization to raise funds. For purposes of this subdivision "nonprofit organization" means an organization that is exempt from taxation under Section 501(c)(3), 501(c)(4), 501(c)(6), 501(c)(8), 501(c)(10), 501(c)(19), or 501(d) of the Internal Revenue Code or is exempt under similar provisions of the General Statutes as a bona fide nonprofit charitable, civic, religious, fraternal, patriotic, or veterans' organization or as a nonprofit volunteer fire department, or as a nonprofit volunteer rescue squad or a bona fide homeowners' or property owners' association. For purposes of this subdivision "political organization" means an organization covered by the provisions of G.S. 163-96(a)(1) or (2) or a campaign organization established by or for a person who is a candidate who has filed a notice of candidacy, paid the filing fees or filed the required petition, and been certified as a candidate. The issuance of this permit shall also allow the issuance of a purchase-transportation permit under G.S. 18B-403 and 18B-404 and the use for culinary purposes of spirituous liquor lawfully purchased for use in mixed beverages. The issuance of this permit shall also allow a nonprofit organization to offer alcoholic beverages in the manufacturer's original closed container as a prize in a raffle or sell alcoholic beverages in the manufacturer's original closed container at auction at the ticketed event to allow the nonprofit organization to raise funds.
(b) Intent. - Permits under this section are to be issued only for the limited circumstances listed in subsection (a) of this section and not as substitutes for other permits required by this Chapter.
(c) Conditions of Permit. - A permit issued under this section shall be valid only for the single transaction or the kind of activity specified in the permit and shall be subject to any conditions the Commission may impose as to the time, place and manner of the authorized activity.
(d) Administrative Procedure. - Denial or revocation of a permit under this section shall not entitle the applicant or permittee to a hearing under Chapter 150B. (1977, c. 854, s. 1; 1981, c. 412, s. 2; 1987, c. 434, s. 2; c. 827, s. 1; 1989, c. 130; c. 800, ss. 13, 14; 2001-262, s. 9; 2008-159, s. 1; 2017-6, s. 3; 2017-87, s. 3(b); 2018-100, s. 5(e).)